Berches / Tascher (Challos)

More
29 Nov 2009 02:42 #1514 by rallisw
Berches / Tascher (Challos) was created by rallisw
Traditionally I understand that Yekkish Bershis / Dacher is made just from flour and water. If one buys a Eastern European style Challoh, which has sugar, eggs, etc., does it still retain it's HaMoutzi status? I have friends who are Sephardim, who will not say HaMoutzi on such bread, but only Bourei Minei M'zounous.

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2009 17:20 #1537 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Berches / Tascher (Challos)
What today is known to be called Challoh, was called Barches or Berches in most of Germany and Hungary, and Tascher in some places in southern Germany. This was because of the Posuk "ברכת ה' היא תעשיר", which refers to Shabbos according to the Yerushalmi, and because there were Brochos on Hafroshas Challoh and many other Brochos said later in public.

In the past they were made only of water and flour, sometimes with שומן put on them, or baked together with meat, therefore they had a special design (so they would not be eaten later during the week with milk) - at the time of the Yosef Ometz they put the knife in it a few times so it would look different, and some brought that the Yekkim made them look like the letter "Vov", and the Polish Jews braided them.
The Yosef Ometz says that when he was young they were made from flour and water only, but in his days they started already adding spices, and he says this is good to do so Lekoved Shabbos.

Michael FRBSH

More
11 Feb 2010 14:21 #1620 by rallisw
Replied by rallisw on topic Berches / Tascher (Challos)
I recall my father saying that if a woman is pregnant you give her the end of the Dacher in order for her to have a boy.

Do you know anything about this minhog?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!