What position should tzibbur assume during Birchas Kohanim?

More
06 Oct 2009 00:33 #1448 by SBS
What position should one assume during birchas kohanim? In most non-German kehillos the kehilloh men place their tallis over their heads if they had not had them that way previously. Does the kehilloh face the kohanim and just look down, close their eyes, have their heads pointed downwards?

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2009 03:15 #1468 by Michael
The Minhag was to put the Tallis over the head and let it fall over the eyes, and in this way the eyes are covered and one doesn't have to close them or look down.

Michael FRBSH

More
29 Oct 2009 19:29 #1475 by SBS
So they they take their hats off just before and put their tallis over their heads then?

Steven

More
30 Oct 2009 17:57 #1476 by Michael
Yosef Ometz says that the Medakdekim cover their eyes with the tallis as described above. In the past the hats were small and ones head was covered with the Tallis over his hat always. In KAYJ we wear the Tallis over the head (without the hats) usually, and in Birkas Kohanim we pull the Tallis a bit further. (See more about Tallis over the head at this link ). In places like KAJ WH where no one wears the Tallis over his head other then the Rov, they may have a different minhag in Birkas Kohanim.

Michael FRBSH

More
02 Nov 2009 14:21 #1478 by SBS
Why is it that in KAYJ the kehiloh covers their head with their Talis and not hats?

Steven

More
08 Nov 2009 02:14 #1480 by Michael
In KAYJ we follow Minhag Ashkenaz, and try to do all the Minhogim of the Rishonim and Achronim of Gedolei Ashkenaz. But if a Minhag is proved to have not started by Rabbonei Ashkenaz, and on the contrary - the Rabbonim kept the old Minhag and were not happy with the new Minhag, and in EY most shuls (Lithuanian, Polish etc.) follow the old Minhag and cover their heads, there is no point for us to be the only shul in EY to do the new Minhag that was practiced in the 19th century against the will of the Rabbonim of that time, as seen in this link . On the other hand, in FFAM itself, or in KAJ WH which was opened by Rav Breuer of FFAM, there is more logic in continuing the present Minhag, no matter why it was started.

Michael

More
10 Nov 2009 04:33 #1483 by SBS
So if someone who's minhag was to wear a hat (not tallis over the head) were to daven in KAYJ, would the expectation be that they conform to your shul's minhag? I guess this is a broader question and in shuls where there is clearly a minhag of the shul then maybe it needs to be adhered to vs. shuls where it is acceptable for people to do different things (like, hat, no hat, tallis over the head etc.). I'm just curious as to what happens in such situations at KAYJ and how this type of issue is handled.

Steven

More
10 Nov 2009 04:36 #1485 by Michael
Every individual is allowed to Daven the way he wishes. In KAYJ we only have a Hakpodo on what the Shliach Tzibbur does, or what the person who says Kaddish does etc. but no Hakpodo on what every individual does for himself.

Michael

More
13 Nov 2009 16:21 #1489 by Michael
I would like to add, that Rav Hamburger told me that the Bochurim in his shul (who do not cover their heads usually, but wear a hat), at Birkas Cohanim take the hat off and cover over their heads with the Tallis. This could be what is done at KAJ WH too.

Michael

More
15 Nov 2009 02:27 #1495 by rallisw

Michael wrote: I would like to add, that Rav Hamburger told me that the Bochurim in his shul (who do not cover their heads usually, but wear a hat), at Birkas Cohanim take the hat off and cover over their heads with the Tallis. This could be what is done at KAJ WH too.

When I spoke with Moreinu HoRav Hamburger, regarding the issue of one who wears a hat during davening. When it comes to Bircas Kouhanim one pulls the Tallis over the hat, "which was one of the few times when German Jews wore their Tallaysous properly".

I would think that bochrim would be dealt with differently. There is a machloukes from what we are aware of from the Middle Ages, whether a bochur is encouraged to wear a Tallis over his head while still unmarried.

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!