Savri

More
13 Aug 2009 23:59 #1315 by MPerlman
Savri was created by MPerlman
When saying Savri... in Kiddush or Havdala, do we always say Maranan V'rabanan V' Rabosai, or only when there are other people there (for example, if I am alone or only my wife is present or my young children are present)?

MPerlman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2009 03:46 #1332 by Litvak
Replied by Litvak on topic Savri
And what if one is in the company of ignorant people then? I would assume that one should definitely not give ignorant people such titles.

By the way, what is the mokor (source) to say Savri...altogether?

Litvak

More
22 Sep 2009 01:33 #1415 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Savri
The Nachal Eshkol brings that one should say Savri Maronon, on Kiddush, Havdoloh, Birkos Eirusin and Nisu'in, and on Bris Miloh.
In a book of Minhogim 130 years old, he brings to say Savri Rabosai.

It seems that in case only ones wife and children are present, it is enough to say סברי or סברי רבותי.

FRBSH

The Baer Siddur writes (in Kiddush): סברי מרנן ורבנן ורבותי
He brings as a source for this saying, from Midrash Tanchumo (Pekudei), that one who holds a cup of wine and is not sure it isn't poisoned - should say סברי מרנן, and the congregation answers לחיי. According to this, he explains that the Mekadesh is asking - do you think I should make a Brocho on this cup.
Another explanation brought there is that the Mekadesh is saying - Sibru, meaning listen and concentrate on the Brocho I'm saying, and answer Omen (this he brings from the Tanya).

Michael

More
22 Sep 2009 01:36 #1416 by Alexander Weil
Replied by Alexander Weil on topic Savri
A local Rav said that to be grammatically correct, the mekadesh should say "sovrei" before kiddush, not sovri, and mentioned to look in the Baer siddur (page 197). Do you have any more information on this?

Alexander