Adding extra neir(os) after missing lighting neiros Shabbos

More
07 Aug 2009 19:20 #1229 by SBS
I'd like to know more about the source requiring someone to light an extra shabbos candle for every shabbos going forward if one forgot to light a candle previously. I have never heard of this and would like to know the reason. Is this based on some kabbalistic source?

What is required (if anything) if a shabbos candle blows out (Example: faulty candle and is it doesn't stay lit). Is this viewed as some sort of bad sign that requires a tikkun or is it just what it is...a bad candle and no further actions are required?

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2009 02:44 #1263 by MPerlman

Steven wrote: I'd like to know more about the source requiring someone to light an extra shabbos candle for every shabbos going forward if one forgot to light a candle previously. I have never heard of this and would like to know the reason. Is this based on some kabbalistic source?

The Ramo (Orach Chayim 263:1) brings this Halacha, quoting the Maharil.

The Maharil (Hilchos Shabbos, para. 1) does not bring a reason but merely adds that the query was asked on behalf of someone by the Maharil's niece.

I think that from here we can see the tremendous Yir'as Shomayim of the people of that era, where a woman was embarrassed to ask this query, when, from the point of view of our generation, she only forgot to light candles one week.

MPerlman

More
12 Aug 2009 02:44 #1264 by SBS
And what about if the candle was lit but went out prematurely?

Steven

More
12 Aug 2009 19:19 #1283 by MPerlman

Steven wrote: And what about if the candle was lit but went out prematurely?

It would seem to me that this is considered an Oness and the Magain Avraham (263:3) writes that in case of Oness, one does not have to add a candle the following weeks.

MPerlman